These are so versatile and easy to throw together. I can walk in the door from work and 15 minutes later be sitting down to a delicious meal that washes away the stress of the day. Not only do these taste incredible, but they leave you feeling light, refreshed and totally satisfied. Use this as a guide, rather than a strict recipe. Play around and make it your own. I would love to see your creations 🙂 I have found the best lettuce for wraps are romaine, but vary it with what is available and fresh. Collard greens, butterleaf, or any large leaved lettuce will work. Kids especially love building their wrap and assembling the different toppings ❤ Enjoy
– Your base (use 1 package of tofu or tempeh, OR 3 portobello mushroom caps, OR 2 cups cooked rice or quinoa)
– 2 red or orange peppers– chopped into bite sized pieces
– 1-2 T ginger– minced finely
– 1-2 T lemongrass– minced fresh is preferable, but I cheated and used Lighthouse Brand freeze dried. I love that I can have it on hand for last minute recipes and once cooked it tastes very similar to fresh.
–1 small bunch cilantro– chopped with stems and leaves seperated
Saute above ingredients (cilantro stems only-save the leaves for the end) over medium high heat until peppers are softened and base is cooked/heated through. Add 2 T hoisin sauce, 2 t tamari or soy sauce, and a drizzle of sesame oil. If this is for adults throw in some sriracha!
Let the filling cool for a few moments before adding the cilantro leaves and spooning into your lettuce wraps.
-1 cucumber, chopped
-1 large carrot, you can grate the carrot or use a vegetable peeler and shave off long ribbons
-fresh basil (optional)
– 1/4 cup hemp seeds (optional)
– 1/4 cup sesame seeds (optional)
Set the toppings up in bowls. Have each person assemble their own. Drizzle with some more hoisin or soy sauce.